UCD Geology Student Honors & Awards
- Graduate student Erik Davies has received a NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship for his research on the "Thermodynamics and Mechanics of Large Impacts".
- Allison Rubin receives the GeoPRISMS Student Prize for best talk at the 2015 Fall AGU Meeting.
- Graduate student Mark DeBlois has been awarded a 2015 Love of Learning Award from Phi Kappa Phi.
- Graduate Student Andrew Fowler received an Outstanding Student Paper Award in the "Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology Section" at the Fall 2015 AGU Meeting. His presentation was titled, "Alteration of Crystalline and Glassy Basaltic Protolith by Seawater as Recorded by Drill Core and Drill Cutting Samples."
- Graduate student Alisha Clark received a best poster award at the 2015 Annual Meeting of COMPRES in Colorado Springs. Her poster featured her work on "Pressure dependent elastic properties of amorphous silicates by GHz frequency ultrasonic interferometry and high pressure X-ray microtomography".
- Graduate student Mark DeBlois has been awarded the UC Davis Graduate Research Mentorship Fellowship for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Outstanding Student Paper Award Receipients: American Geophysical Union, Fall 2014
Alisha Clark (Mineral and Rock Physics)
Volumetric and elastic properties of basalt at high pressure by X-ray microtomography and GHz-ultrasonic interferometry
Austin Elliott (Tectonophysics)
Slip rate gradients along parallel strands of the eastern Altyn Tagh fault confirm modeled rupture behavior at a transpressional bend
Mark Stelten (Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology)
The Dynamics of the Post-Caldera Magmatic System at Yellowstone: Insights from Age, Trace Element, and Isotopic Data of Zircon and Sanidine
- Geology graduate student Andrew Fowler has been chosen as one of the 2014 Robert & Patricia Switzer Foundation Environmental Fellows.
- Geology graduate students Jessica Hosfelt and Chad Trexler have each received an Honorable Mention for their Graduate Research Fellowship proposals to NSF.
- Geology graduate student Mark Stelten was named as a recipient of an Outstanding Student Paper Award from the Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology Section of AGU for his presentation, "The mechanisms and timescales of rhyolite generation at Yellowstone caldera: New insights from 238U-230Th crystallization ages, trace-elements and isotope composition of zircon and sanadine," presented at the 2013 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco.
- Geology graduate student Chad Trexler received a 2013-14 Achievement Rewards for College Scientists Awards (ARCS). The ARCS Foundation provides scholarships to outstanding academic students in science, medicine, and engineering, thereby contributing to the worldwide advancement of science and technology.
- Geology graduate student Mary Barr received an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (GRFP). The purpose of the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program "recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees in fields within NSF's mission."
- "An Integrated Multidisciplinary Re-Evaluation of the Geothermal System at Valles Caldera, New Mexico" by Geology Graduate students Andrew Fowler, Scott Bennett, Maya Wildgoose, and Carolyn Cantwell was determined to be one of the best of 214 presentations at the 2012 Geothermal Resource Council Annual Meeting in Reno, Nevada.
- UCD Geology graduate student Amy Williams received the Dean's Prize in the category for Best Oral Presentation, among L&S graduate students from the Division of Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the 2012 Interdisciplinary Graduate and Professional Symposium.
- UCD Geology graduate student Katrina Arredondo received an honorable mention by the 2012 NSF GRFP Award Committee, one of only 3 Geoscience students to be recognized from the entire UC system as the proposed graduate institution.
- Geology graduate student Andrew Fowler receives the Geothermal Resources Council's (GRC) Best Presentation Award for his oral presentation "Hydrothermal Alteration and Geochemistry in Core Hole BC12-31: Implications for Segregation of Transient Flow Regimes in the Long Valley Geothermal System" at the 2011 GRC Annual Meeting (Geology/Exploration 11 Session) in San Diego, CA this past October.
- Geology graduate student Scott Bennett receives the Geothermal Resources Council's (GRC) Best Presentation Award for his oral presentation "Geothermal Potential of Transtensional Plate Boundaries" at the 2011 GRC Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA this past October.
- "Students win national geothermal energy competition": The UC Davis Geology Geothermal Team wins the National Geothermal Student Competition (NGSC), a first-of-its kind intercollegiate competition that challenges students to advance their understanding of geothermal energy's potential as a significant contributor to the nation's energy portfolio in the coming decades.
- Geology graduate student Lael Vetter was recently selected by the Paleoceanography & Paleoclimatology Committee of the American Geophysical Union, as a recipient of an Outstanding Student Paper Award for her presentation "Intrashell isotopic and trace element variation at the micron-scale in cultured planktic foraminifers" at the 2010 Fall Meeting in San Francisco.
- UCD Geology graduate students Joshua Garber and Amy Williams were awarded Career Development Awards at the 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference last week. Only 8-10 students received this honor nationwide. Both were recognized at the Plenary Session at LPSC in March.
- Geology Graduate student Ryan D. Gold is the 2010 Recipient of the Allen G. Marr Prize for his dissertation: "Latest Quaternary Slip History of the Central Altyn Tagh Fault, NW China, Derived from Faulted Terrace Risers". The Allen G. Marr Prize is awarded by the Office of Graduate Studies at the graduate commencement ceremony to a present or past UC Davis doctoral student in honor of superior dissertation work.