Ideal Geology Major Study Plans
The information here is provided for your convenience; classes are subject to change. Please speak with a Geology major advisors for the latest information on a geology major study plan. These are just major classes, so be sure to check MyDegree.ucdavis.edu for any additional degree requirements, including General Education and your College English Composition Requirement (UWP 104E is recommended).
Classes in italics must stay in the quarter they’re listed, although not necessarily in the year listed.
The following classes are recommended for those who intend to pursue graduate degrees but are not necessarily required for the Bachelor of Science degree in Geology: MAT 21D, MAT 22A, MAT 22B, PHY 9D
2018-2019 GEL Upper Division Electives list:
The upper division electives are not restricted to geology courses but must be chosen to provide a relevant, coherent, and in-depth program of study.
- Additional upper division electives chosen from GEL 130–194 courses
- Only one of GEL/EDU 181 or GEL/EDU 183 may be applied toward elective credit
- No more than 3 units upper division elective credit for GEL 115–120 courses
- Maximum of 6 units upper division elective credit for GEL 192 (internships) or 194A-194B or 194HA-194HB (senior thesis)
- Preapproved electives outside of Geology:
- ECI 171+171L – Soil Mechanics (5)
- ECI 175 – Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering (4)
- ESM 100 – Principles of Hydrologic Science (4)
- ESM 186/186L – Environmental Remote Sensing (3) Lab (2)
- ESP 152 - Coastal Oceanography (3)
- HYD 144 – Groundwater Hydrology (4)
- HYD 146/GEL 156 – Hydrogeology and Contaminant Transport (5)
- LDA 150/ABT 150 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4)
- SSC 100 – Principles of Soil Science (5)
- WFC 102+102L – Ecogeomorphology (1 unit) / Lab (6 units)
- Cross-enrollment online class at UCLA: Geography 168 – Intermediate GIS (4 units)
(this course counts as UC Davis’ LDA/ABT 150, so students cannot take both)
- And related fields approved in advance by major advisor