MCSci Internships and Careers
A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Marine and Coastal Science will provide students with knowledge and practical experience needed to pursue careers in marine science (government, private sector, research) and/or advanced degree programs. The major program includes both research and internship experiences to help prepare students for these career paths. The major requires field experience, independent research or internship, and concludes with a capstone course featuring current research in marine science. These integrative experiences will require students to synthesize the interdisciplinary topics that they have encountered through this degree program.
The UC Davis Internship and Career Center provides many resources for preparing for your career and searching for jobs.
- Create and review your resume
- Learn how to find an internship or job
- Get Transcript Notation for your internship
- Meet with a Career Advisor
- Attend a workshop or Career Fair
- What Can I Do With my Marine and Coastal Science major?
- O*NET: find careers by job title, more information about these jobs titles, and data on wages, career outlook, and education
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: search through job descriptions
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography: Preparing for a Career in Oceanography
Where do Marine Science students tend to work?
- Federal government (Fish & Wildlife, Environmental Protection Agency, NOAA)
- State and local government (Natural Resources)
- Research facilities (Bureau of Land Management)
- Environmental Conservation Organizations, wildlife refuges, aquatic preserves
- Non-Governmental Organizations (Greenpeace, Nature Conservancy)
- Environmental consulting firms (Antea, ERM)
- Universities and colleges (researcher, field technician, lab manager)
- Education organizations (K-12 teaching, aquariums)
Where can I find internships and jobs?
- UC Davis CalTeach/Math and Science Teaching Program (CalTeach/MAST)
- UC Davis Department of Environmental Science and Policy (DESP)
- UC Center Washington
- UC Center Sacramento
- Coastal and Marine Sciences Institute (CMSI)
- UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center Volunteer Opportunities, Internships, and Jobs
- USGS Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center
- USGS Coastal and Marine Geology Program
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- NOAA Volunteer Opportunities
- NOAA Jobs
- NOAA Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship for summer internships
- NOAA’s Southwest Fisheries Science Center SWFSC Internships and SWFSC Jobs
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)
- National Marine Mammal Foundation Internships
- Seymour Marine Discovery Center
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography Fleet Employment Opportunities
- Texas A&M’s Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Job Board
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Paid Summer Internships
- Marine Mammal Center
- California Water Boards Internships
- Aquarium of the Pacific
- Schmidt Marine Ocean Job Board
- California Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse
- California Internship Network
Join the Oceanography and Marine Science @ UC Davis facebook group: students and alumni of UC Davis who are interested in oceanography/marine science- events, job postings, opportunities, etc.